DAB integration?

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: DAB integration?

Postby daviestar » 08 Apr 2016, 15:28

Is there a consensus on the DAB hardware to use?

I'll grab whatever you guys are using.
daviestar

Postby hondagx35 » 08 Apr 2016, 15:38

Hi,

i have a RTL2832U + R820T2 Mini DVB-T + DAB + FM USB dongle here.

First of all we have to get it running on the console.
I'm not shure if the sdr-j package (with QT interface) will help us here.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Dohmar » 08 Apr 2016, 15:38

daviestar wrote:Is there a consensus on the DAB hardware to use?

I'll grab whatever you guys are using.

The one that I quoted before (RTL2832U + R820T2 Mini DVB-T + DAB + FM USB dongle) has the widest support on linux and is already supported by the software and kernel drivers, and best of all is only $10

I'm happy to send you both Frank & Davie a dongle if you'll pm me your addresses - scratch that, I see Frank already has one - what about any other devs?

Regarding GUI - I have an overall change to the GUI as it stands to present the user interface more like a typical hardware design (using the perks of a nice touchscreen lcd) while still remaining easy to use and configurable.- though I havent yet figured a couple of elements out, as Im not a programmer nor a designer, but I have an idea about user interfacing

-D

Edit - here are 2 links - the first is to my work in progress for this all in one, diy hi fi stereo system that does almost everything. The second is the last project I did last year, which ended up turning out way better than I expected
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... t-21640313
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... d.1466904/
Dohmar

Postby daviestar » 08 Apr 2016, 16:49

Dohmar wrote:I'm happy to send you both Frank & Davie a dongle if you'll pm me your addresses - scratch that, I see Frank already has one - what about any other devs?

Thanks for the offer Dohmar, but I have ordered one already, should be here tomorrow morning 8-)
daviestar

Postby surfninja » 08 Apr 2016, 18:03

Dohmar wrote:here are 2 links - the first is to my work in progress for this all in one, diy hi fi stereo system that does almost everything. The second is the last project I did last year, which ended up turning out way better than I expected
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... t-21640313
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index. ... d.1466904/

D,
I enjoyed the links. I've built a few guitar amps for friends and appreciate the effort and skill.
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 2B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 4B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi Zero W
surfninja

Postby hondagx35 » 08 Apr 2016, 20:39

Hi Dohmar,

http://i65.tinypic.com/1scrvt.jpg
On Firefox it is easy to zoom in and out with the scroll wheel from your mouse.
CTRL + scroll.

I have an overall change to the GUI as it stands to present the user interface more like a typical hardware design (using the perks of a nice touchscreen lcd) while still remaining easy to use and configurable.-

At the moment there will be no change in the UI.
So let us do the integration on a separate page, you can change this later on.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby hondagx35 » 08 Apr 2016, 22:52

Hi all,

i'm able to play FM-Radio with my dongle.

Code: Select all
rtl_fm -f 91.0e6 -M wbfm -s 200000 -r 192000 - | aplay -D hw:1 -c 2 -r 48k -f S32_LE

And it plays my local radio station through HifiBerry DAC+
rtl-fm.jpg
rtl-fm.jpg (204.88 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

with very low processor load.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Dohmar » 09 Apr 2016, 00:54

That is awesome work Frank! Im going to re-format and reinstall the latest version of Rune and see if I can get it going also.
I've received some build instructions from the guy who writes sdr-j, so if I can compile that I should theoretically be able to do the same with DAB

-D

EDIT - Can confirm that the fm component plays exactly as described above, using the x400 board! Only step required from a vanilla runeos is to run pacman -Sy rtl-sdr and then the command line above. Not sure if its stereo, my speakers are currently close together - any way to verify? Can we pipe the audio to a command line 2 channel mixer to check it out?
Last edited by Dohmar on 09 Apr 2016, 03:19, edited 2 times in total.
Dohmar

Postby hondagx35 » 09 Apr 2016, 01:02

Hi,

That is awesome work Frank!

Only at first view. Sound quality is not bad, but it seems to be mono.

Frank
hondagx35

Postby Dohmar » 09 Apr 2016, 11:43

Re GUI config for radio - I would envision a page with the same layout as all the other pages structurally, but where the top header has back, stop, play, forward, we could add a pause button (so that rune notes the position of the currently selected audiofile and resumes it when that button is hit again) for general purpose use.

While in FM mode, the play button could act as an unmute, the stop button as a mute, the previous button/next button to scan left/right (if we can implement that). The bottom header would remain unchanged of course.

Middle pane - View 1 - Would have a number of presets, anywhere from 3-10 I guess? Treat them as buttons like the standard webkit does. Make it configurable. Quick and easy way for someone to program in their favourite stations and probably the quickest to implement if that command line thing is anything to go by. This would be my preferred goal in beta software to simply get it working inside the RuneUI.
Middle pane - View 2- Would have an option to do a scan, where the unit scans the frequencies (and lets say, 88Mhz to 108mhz) then analyze the peaks vs the troughs and report the frequency of those spikes as a menuitem. The user could specify their own frequencies from the beginning to the end of whatever their particular dongle supports. The one we have does 80mhz to 1700mhz and in some cases further than that if you make some upconverter hardware. (And can also do AM radio if you make one of these too).
Middle pane - View 3 - would be an interactive slider with a scale, so one could use their finger on a touchscreen to slide from 88-108mhz with definition up to 1/10th of a mhz - 1/10th of a mhz is also what I would recommend as being the scan interval for View 2.

This would fit in with the schema that Rune already has, with the header and footer being permanently visible and controlling the most important stuff, with the middle pane configurable for whatever the user wants to do.

The scary thing with SDR is that you can literally pick up anything radio related with this hardware and software. Police scanners. Mobile phone traffic. International Space Station. Airplane transponders. Once the interface is implemented, I can see some of the RTL-SDR fanboys getting involved, as it would open up that hobby set to people that need to have a flashable image rather than doing a build process. The hardware costs $10 and the software is there in the form of open source code...

I'm currently documenting my build for my Pi-Fi and will publish in a separate thread. I'm not sure about widgets and webkit, but if in the radio 'view' itd be cool if the gui could display a frequency strength gauge/meter, as that will vary second to second depending on atmospherics.

And Im imagining within the 'radio' view there would be the ability to select initially between FM, DAB and perhaps later on, AM, Shortwave, others? Would be super neat if you could listen to live CB radio, but I'm getting way ahead of myself. FM would be the first goal, but DAB the main goal. Any others would be cool.

And there was a guy here offering his services as a graphic designer. Could perhaps use him to design background images for the frequency selection overlay. :)

-D

EDIT- Alternatively, you could use the playback screen to select the input via the MPD button that already exists, but make the left hand 'progress' meter morph into a tuning dial. That would be really funky...
Dohmar

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi