Connecting Adafruit si4713

Raspberry Pi related support

Connecting Adafruit si4713

Postby thonal » 09 Apr 2017, 20:25

Hi,

(First time user of this distro (or Arch) and first time user of the Raspi Zero W. )

My goal is to use the Raspi Zero W (If that is not working, I do have a Raspi 3) and the si4713 FM transmitter with RDS transmitter that show the current song on the car radio. Unfortunately I cannot use any line-in options on my car radio, simply because there aren't any.
And maybe adding 433 remote control for next/previous/repeat/random etc.

The Adafruit si4713 works with i2c for setting up the frequency and transmitting the RDS strings.
But I don't know how to integrate that with RuneAudio (using 20170329_runeaudio_raspberry1_raspberryZero_4.9.17-1.img)

I do not have an DAC converter yet for the Zero. I was thinking of buying pHAT DAC which is basically designed for the Zero.

I hope someone can point my in the right direction?
Any suggestions are welcome!
thonal

Re: Connecting Adafruit si4713

Postby thonal » 14 Apr 2017, 11:21

Hi,

I have the FM RDS transmitter working.
- It can scan for the least 'noisy' frequency.
- It can set Line audio AGC off or on. (Still listening and measuring what is best...)
- It can show 8 characters fixed, or scroll message (e.g. current song information) via script.

Surprisingly it is actually acceptable sound quality! So far the audio -3dB cutoff range on my radio (on the testbench) was 18hz - 14.8 khz.

But as my previous post mentioned; how to get the current song info parsed to the python script?
If read many of the 'external LCD' treads, but either they where really old or the most promising one (lcd-in-runeaudio-can-t-get-the-info-from-mpd-in-the-screen-t763.html) has ended with a PM discussion to hondagx95.

So now 2 years later, is there a 'official and supported' way to get current song information from script(?)/db(?)/whatever(?) that can trigger another script (bash/python/whatever) and passes the song information?
thonal

Postby hondagx35 » 14 Apr 2017, 14:58

Hi,

Current playing info is readable from any programming language on all newer images

* shell: redis-cli get act_player_info
* php: $redis->get('act_player_info')
* python: import redis ........ and read act_player_info

Frank
hondagx35

Postby thonal » 14 Apr 2017, 15:06

Tested and works perfectly!

Thank you very much!!
thonal

Postby turbolargo » 17 Jul 2018, 16:34

thonal wrote:Hi,

I have the FM RDS transmitter working.
- It can scan for the least 'noisy' frequency.
- It can set Line audio AGC off or on. (Still listening and measuring what is best...)
- It can show 8 characters fixed, or scroll message (e.g. current song information) via script.

Hi, I'm looking exctly for this but can't find it anywhere?
Any hint?
turbolargo

Postby thonal » 17 Jul 2018, 16:50

Hi,

You need the files in the archive. FM-RDS.py is the script that get the current song (Artist - Song) and send it via RDS to the radio.
The update can be a bit delayed when a new song begins.
I never put in more effort to make the script efficient and clean, it works fine.

Have fun,

Thonal.
Attachments
FM-RDS.zip
(7.63 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
thonal

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi