Cirrus Logic (new Wolfson) on rPi B+

Raspberry Pi related support

Cirrus Logic (new Wolfson) on rPi B+

Postby mashman » 24 Jan 2015, 10:03

Hi All,

Does anyone have any instructions on getting the Cirrus Logic (wolfson) card working on the rPi B+? I assumed it would be the same as the previous version but everytime i switch the kernel over to Wolfson, all of the USB ports and the Ethernet port stop working entirely.

Do i have to compile the kernel myself? is there another way? I've tried updating via pacman and gitpull but the results are the same.

cheers,

t
mashman

Re: Cirrus Logic (new Wolfson) on rPi B+

Postby mashman » 03 Feb 2015, 03:15

Hi All,

There has not been a lot of talk about this new cirrus card, i'm not sure why. I've managed to get it working now but i fumbled my way through.

This is not ideal so i'd love some feedback and/or better ways to do this, perhaps even include support for the cirrus in the next release. :)

I attempted to compile my own kernel following instructions from here, here, and here. I got it compiled (cross compiled on my arch box) but something was not happy on boot so i looked elsewhere.

I found that someone had already compiled one for the cirrus card.... here (sorry, i lost track of the source).

From there, i copied the kernel.img to /boot and extracted the modules to the folder /lib/modules/3.12.33

I edited the /boot/config.txt to comment out the old lines and add in
Code: Select all
kernel=kernel.img
cmdline=cmdline_linux-arch-rpi_3.12.26-1-ARCH.txt

Hooray, on reboot i get...

[root@runeaudio ~]# uname -a
Linux runeaudio 3.12.33 #1 PREEMPT Tue Dec 30 19:52:03 PST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

My lsmod can be found here.

I also had to run the appropriate scripts found at http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/wolfson-audio-card-patch-for-runeaudio-t213-30.html?hilit=script#p1817

There was mention on the cirrus github page that i had to blacklist modules so i edited/added /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf
#blacklist spi-bcm2708
#blacklist i2c-bcm2708
blacklist snd-soc-pcm512x
#blacklist snd-soc-wm8804
softdep arizona-spi pre: arizona-ld

here's the kernel config for those interested..... i ran a 'zcat /proc/config.gz >.config' to here... http://pastebin.com/5mB8L7pQ

It took a few goes and reboots and fiddling so this may not be the best instructions for a total noob but its all i've seen on this forum so far so i though it's worth getting the conversation going. If we could refine this, i have a few extra questions.

- How do i add extra kernel items to the kernel menu within the rune settings?
    - I'm not sure if this works without running a gitpull from the dev settings. Through my fumbling, I tried all the things.
    - If anyone has some observations or suggestions on the config, that would be nice.
    - Is there someone out there with patching skills? it would be nice to be able to just add the modules to the stock kernels.
mashman

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi