[Sorted] Cannot see upnp server, no hardware volume

Raspberry Pi related support

[Sorted] Cannot see upnp server, no hardware volume

Postby gearhead » 25 Nov 2014, 06:38

Was trying volumio and wanted to give rune a try as it looks a bit more 'complete' but I have a couple issues:
1) I have to use software volume control for my HiFiBerry DAC (original for a model B, not B+). It works and I was able to have it 'just work' under raspbian with gmrender-resurrect. Under Volumio and Rune, I have to use software volume or it is 'full blast'. Daniel at HiFiBerry suggests that I need to change the mixer_control to "Playback Digital" in mpd.conf. It does not appear that I can edit it directly, though. How do I resolve this?

2) I cannot 'see' my upnp server. When I go to the The graphic is greyed out when I try to select it as a 'source'. In order to use it in volumio, I had to enable library view, but this is a bit different and I did not see that option.

3) I need to edit the pls files by hand for my local radio stations. It is way to painful to paste it all in the web interface. Where are they? Can I edit them directly?

Now as I write this, I cannot get the UI back. It is just 'connecting' forever. I'll put the volumio card in for now and wait for a response.
Last edited by gearhead on 03 Dec 2014, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.
gearhead

Re: Cannot see upnp server, no hardware volume for hifiberry

Postby ACX » 25 Nov 2014, 13:29

Hi gearhead,

1) have you selected the right mixer type in the "Volume control" select menu in the MPD section, right? That should work out of the box with the HiFiBerry DAC.. If not, please put here your debug information via Pastebin and we'll try to figure out what's happening;

2) have you enabled UPnP/DLNA under the Settings screen?

3) please take a look at this topic:
adding-webradios-by-writing-files-pls-m3u-into-a-directory-t439.html
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby gearhead » 25 Nov 2014, 18:58

1) Yes I have. I have set all the other settings and can get music through the system, it is just the hardware volume control which should be cleaner... When I set it to software volume, I can control it. When I set it to hardware, I get 100% volume. I can mouse it down, but it pops back to 10% as soon as I do it. According to Daniel at hifiberry, it should work as hardware volume control:
You can try to edit mpd.conf by yourself and set the mixer:
mixer_control “Playback Digital”
However as I'm not an expert with these, I can't say for sure that this will work.

Hardware control - always 100% volume and cannot set lower:
Code: Select all
audio_output {

type       "alsa"
       name       "Output"
       device    "hw:0,0"
       mixer_control    "Playback Digital"
       mixer_device    "hw:0"
       mixer_index    "0"
       dop    "no"

}

Software control - variable volume:
audio_output {

type       "alsa"
       name       "Output"
       device    "hw:0,0"
       dop    "no"

}

list:
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 []
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

2) Yes, I have enabled upnp and airplay in settings. When I hover over the upnp icon from the ? screen, it does not change color. I do not want to mount the filesystem NFS as that is a huge amount of overhead and I'd rather let upnp run it. It does work from Volumio, but I had to turn on their Library View to be able to see it. Interestingly, MPD does not require me to tell it the name of my upnp/dlna server and it 'just shows up' in Volumio.

3) Got it, thanks. add my pls file to this directory: /mnt/MPD/Webradio

I was able to 'resolve' the continuous 'connecting' problem. I updated arch and then did a git pull to update rune. I still have problems 1 & 2.

Thanks!

Keith
gearhead

Postby gearhead » 26 Nov 2014, 15:45

I tried to put the pls files in the /mnt/MPD/Webradio but they still do not show up. Also still no upnp server shows up. Am I not looking in the right place? Let's get this working as software first then look at the hardware volume control as I have ne experience with mpd.

[root@runeaudio Webradio]# ls
Andys_80s.pls  Channel_X.pls  Underground_80s.pls  radio.pls
CBC_R3.pls     KROQFM.pls     WXRT.pls

As you can see, they are there, but when I go to click the mpd icon from the play page, I get the jpeg attached. If I click on the gear, it will change color, but nothing else happens. I cannot see any of my webradio stations, I cannot see the music server from this page. Am I supposed to be able to browse for the music server? I cannot seem to figure out how to do that. As a test, I changed the UPnP / DLNA name to my local music server (on the settings page) in the case that was where I was supposed to put that, still nothing shows up in the library. no streams no server.

My debug is in the next post.
Attachments
runeUI.jpg
library page
runeUI.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
gearhead

Postby gearhead » 26 Nov 2014, 15:46

debug:
http://pastebin.com/56b8fZFu
(edited to use pastebin instead of forum)

Keith
Last edited by gearhead on 26 Nov 2014, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
gearhead

Postby gearhead » 26 Nov 2014, 16:00

Ok, something weird is happening. If I add a bogus stream from the UI, the library updates and I can see the rest of the pls files I added. UNless I do that, I see nothing.

When I do this, the UI only detects 1 webradio. On the library page, it shows My Webradios (1), but when I click it, I see all 8.

Keith
gearhead

Postby ACX » 26 Nov 2014, 16:36

Hi gearhead,
I'm busy now so I can only reply quickly about the UPnP/FLNA thing now.
We implemented the UPnP/DLNA renderer in RuneAudio using upmpdcli. That's not used to browse UPnP/DLNA resources on a server of your local network, but to play streams sent from there by a UPnP/DLNA control point. Please take a look at the upmpdcli official page to understand better how this works.
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby ACX » 26 Nov 2014, 16:39

And about the webradios:
runeaudio-0-3-beta-for-raspberry-pi-t502-160.html#p3349

PS: please edit your post and link a Pastebin instead of the whole log here, as I suggested
ACX
RuneAudio co-founder

Postby gearhead » 26 Nov 2014, 17:49

ACX,

Thanks for the quick reply. I fixed my post with the debug (sorry). I am better informed on how the render point works, thanks. I also understand why the radio pls works the way it does. As it is, I can now listen to radio and send music to it as a renderer. The remaining bits are to get it to see my music library on my UPnP/DLNA server and get the hardware volume working. I will dig into the hardware volume a bit more after the holiday (Thanksgiving), but need a bit of guidance as to how to see my server. I'll wait patiently.

Regards,

Gearhead
gearhead

Postby gearhead » 01 Dec 2014, 03:40

ACX,

I think I know why the upnp server does not show up.

The configuration file needs to have upnp enabled in the configuration and I did not see any of these in the config file:

database {
    plugin "upnp"
}

and maybe also

neighbors {
    plugin "upnp"
}

I was able to build it from scratch on raspbian and get the server to show up. I had to build it with this config:
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-upnp --enable-curl

WIth this the upnp server showed up in the python client I was using (client 175). I was unable to get any sound (that is another issue), but I was able to browse the server and add music to the playlist.

The php scripts are quite complicated and I do not want to mess with them, but you may be able to add this easily to the git if I am on the right track.

Keith
gearhead

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Next

Return to Raspberry Pi