Cannot connect over wireless, can over Ethernet

Raspberry Pi related support

Cannot connect over wireless, can over Ethernet

Postby rongon » 11 Dec 2016, 08:10

I've followed the steps to connect my RPI3 wifi, running headless from a Win10 PC and a Netgear 802.11g router (yeah, it's old). Running the RuneUI page, it attempts to access the RPI3, but it sticks at the Connecting... screen with the arrows going round and round.

If I plug in the ethernet cable, then the RPI connects to the network and I can configure settings, etc. Connection to the network is OK thru ethernet, but I cannot connect thru Wifi. What's funny is that everything looks normal in the NETWORK page of the RuneUI settings. Green checkmark on my WLAN, and it says Connected. I've looked up the IP address in my router's UI, and tried setting a static IP for wireless to the RPI, and also leaving it at DHCP. Both act exactly the same.

I noticed in the Debug text that it says "HW platform: RaspberryPi2 (08)" but I'm sure I bought a RaspberryPi 3 with onboard Wifi. Perhaps I bunged up the flashing to the SD card?

The image I installed from is named RuneAudio_rpi2_rp3_0.4-beta_20160321_2GB.img.gz

How do you send the Debug info? It doesn't fit in the post!
rongon

Re: Cannot connect over wireless, can over Ethernet

Postby rongon » 11 Dec 2016, 10:29

It took some thinking, but I figured it out. It seems my old router was set to WPA-PSK (TKIP) security, and the RuneUI only has a setting for WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, but actually uses WPA2-PSK (the only other wireless security option in the RuneUI network settings is WEP). So I had to set my router to the setting that matches the RuneUI's, and FINALLY, the Wifi is working from my RPi to my router.

My router is an old Netgear 802.11g and I have an RPi3.

Hopefully this will help somebody who runs into a similar problem.
rongon

Postby hondagx35 » 11 Dec 2016, 11:24

Hi rongon,

welcome to RuneAudio.

Thank you for your report.

We didn't care about WPA-PSK (TKIP), should we?
"WPA-PSK (TKIP): This is basically the standard WPA, or WPA1, encryption. It’s been superseded and isn’t secure."

Frank
hondagx35

Postby rongon » 12 Dec 2016, 08:03

If RuneUI or RPi3 don't support the older WPA-PSK, then why list it as an option in the Network page's options? In RuneUI > Network it says WPA/WPA2-PSK. If it just said WPA2 only, then users would get the idea that plain vanilla WPA isn't supported, and wouldn't leave their routers set to that (in case they were, for whatever reason). In other words, why show WPA is supported when it is not? Just leave it out, don't make it confusing. IMO, anyway.
rongon

Postby hondagx35 » 12 Dec 2016, 09:41

Hi rongon,

thank you for the hint.

I didn't say that it is not implemented, but it is not tested well.
We have to check this for the next release.

Frank
hondagx35

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi