Canakit Vs Vilros

Raspberry Pi related support

Canakit Vs Vilros

Postby preetyjess01 » 21 Jul 2016, 07:03

Raspberry pi 3 is launched if Feb 2016. RunAudio is working great with Pi 3. I am a little bit confusing between canakit and vilros. Can anyone tell which is a best Pi 3 kit?
preetyjess01

Re: Canakit Vs Vilros

Postby rikardo1979 » 21 Jul 2016, 07:50

preetyjess01 wrote:Raspberry pi 3 is launched if Feb 2016. RunAudio is working great with Pi 3. I am a little bit confusing between canakit and vilros. Can anyone tell which is a best Pi 3 kit?

why would you buy any of these kits? I mean if you want it to run RuneAudio and dedicate it to music than you dont need these.Waste of the money
>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<
rikardo1979

Postby AxelFendersson » 25 Jul 2016, 16:23

preetyjess01 wrote:Can anyone tell which is a best Pi 3 kit?

Neither. They're both RPi 2 kits.

That said, the 2 is perfectly capable of running RuneAudio just fine. The only real advantage of the 3 is built-in Wi-Fi, and that won't be an issue for everyone (you may be able to connect yours to ethernet just fine).

Raspberry Pi starter kits are great if you want a solid base for a variety of different projects and for general tinkering, but if you already have a specific purpose in mind, you're likely better off getting just the parts you need separately. Any savings from buying a bundle are likely to be offset by the fact that bundle may include things you don't need (e.g. LEDs, monitor cables, heatsinks*) and things that won't work with the other bits that you do need (a bundled case may not be compatible with an I2S DAC, for example).
AxelFendersson

Postby DJGray » 26 Jul 2016, 15:05

AxelFendersson wrote:
preetyjess01 wrote:Can anyone tell which is a best Pi 3 kit?

Neither. They're both RPi 2 kits.

preetyjess01, I"m not sure what Axel is referring to. You can absolutely get a Pi 3 kit.

I cannot address the Canakit, as I've never purchased one, but can tell you that I've purchased a Vilros Pi 2 kit and two Vilros Pi 3 kits, and they are great. I have no complaints whatsoever. The kit comes with a decent quality HDMI cable, a 5v 2amp power supply that is sufficient to power the Pi, the clear case, a 32 gig micro SD card pre-loaded with NOOBS, and a pair of heat sinks because the chips on the Pi 3 get a little warm.

I wiped the SD card clean, as I did not want NOOBS on it, applied the RuneAudio image, and it booted up beautifully!!

Of course, the kit is not required, especially since the Rune Pi runs headless, but if you don't mind laying out the cash for it, it sure does make things easier. And by the time you purchase all those pieces individually, you're going to spend that amount anyway.
DJGray

Postby roqe » 21 Jan 2018, 16:55

CanaKit is my favorite.

Especially the canakit raspberry pi 3 complete starter kit - 32 gb edition is most reliable and easy to use.
roqe

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi