Solved - Can't see Rune from Android phone

Raspberry Pi related support

Solved - Can't see Rune from Android phone

Postby ianhaynes » 13 Oct 2017, 23:58

Having controlled Rune from a Windows phone ever since I started using Rune, I've upgraded to an Android phone and find I can't access it, either with the ip address in a browser or via the Rune app.

I'm guessing this may be a network issue but have been unable to solve it. Can anyone point me to the solution?

Ian
Last edited by ianhaynes on 16 Oct 2017, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Pi 2, Ver. 0.5b, IQAudio DAC+
ianhaynes

Re: Can't see Rune from Android phone

Postby hondagx35 » 14 Oct 2017, 09:52

Hi Ian,

- Is your pi reachable from other computers?
- Is your Android Phone on the same network as the Pi?
- Has your phone internet access via your home network?

Frank
hondagx35

Postby ianhaynes » 14 Oct 2017, 11:07

Yes to all three.

Rune is available to all other devices on the network; Windows machines, a Linux machine and also tested on an old Android tablet. If I try to reach 192.168.1.16 on the phone, I get a 'connection refused' error.

The phone is on the same network and has internet access via that.

I tried a utility on the phone called ES File Explore and that allows me to see some other devices on the network; the main router (which when I try to access it, gives me details of the FTP server), the NAS drive which I can fully explore, and Runeaudio, which when I try to explore, asks me for the SMB access details (presume this refers to the NAS settings).

When I run the Rune app on the phone it just shows a small Android icon at the top left hand of a black screen.

The router has a built-in Firewall and I'm beginning to wonder whether that is blocking the phone. Will look at it's settings.

Ian
ianhaynes

Postby ianhaynes » 14 Oct 2017, 14:54

Digging further the odd thing is that I can access the router via it's ip address and I can access the NAS drive the same way, but when I try and access Rune I get a message saying that 192.168.1.x refused to connect.

Also when I try to connect to Rune it momentarily stops it running.

Is there something in Rune that I need to change?

Ian
ianhaynes

Postby ianhaynes » 16 Oct 2017, 10:33

Finally got to the bottom of this. It was conflicting ip addresses that were the problem.

When I set the phone up, the music player was switched off and the phone allocated itself the same fixed ip address that I'd allocated to Rune. There seems to be no way in Android Nougat of setting or changing the ip address, so I had to give Rune a different address. Having done that all is working.

I did have to reinstall the Rune Android remote, because I couldn't see how to initiate a re-scan of available players. Not a big issue.

Ian
ianhaynes

Re: Solved - Can't see Rune from Android phone

Postby hondagx35 » 16 Oct 2017, 17:11

Hi ianhaynes,

great to hear that you solved the problem.

There seems to be no way in Android Nougat of setting or changing the ip address

The first thing to do is open up the Network settings. Once there, long-press the network in question and tap Modify network. Next, tap the Advanced options drop-down, tap the IP settings drop-down, and tap Static. In the new window you are able to an IP address, a gateway address, network prefix length, and two DNS servers.

Frank
hondagx35

Re: Solved - Can't see Rune from Android phone

Postby ianhaynes » 16 Oct 2017, 19:08

Yes, that's the way it should work but for some reason I don't see any 'Advanced' options. It may be the phone, a Motorola G4. I've tried on two identical G4s and both are missing these options to change DNS entries etc.

Ian
ianhaynes

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Raspberry Pi