Building a Hi-Fi system as a complete newbie

Build/modify/repair equipment and improve systems performance by yourself

Building a Hi-Fi system as a complete newbie

Postby Navel » 21 Nov 2016, 04:19

Hello,

I would like to build a Hi-Fi system based on Raspberry Pi 2 B+ with RuneAudio, but I am lost. I don't have any clue about what I must do to achieve my project.

Which DAC should I get, for instance ? How can I know which one will be better suited to satisfy my needs ? And what about the stereo speaker ?

Also, are there any cases that aren't to expensive and which could contain the Raspberry + the DAC ? On Audiophonics, they all seem to cost around 50-60 euros minimum.

I guess the best thing I could find would be a step-by-step guide to help me build my Hi-Fi system... do you know some that could be adressed by a beginner ?

I know I asked lots of questions, but, again, I feel like I'm lost ^^. Thanks for your time, anyhow.
Navel

Re: Building a Hi-Fi system as a complete newbie

Postby pelliott321 » 21 Nov 2016, 12:31

I would start small just to get something up and running
Could be as simple as music on USB stick, your Pi and some powered computer speakers.
I have two Rune/Pi's working
One using the HiFiBerry Dac and amp and speakers in my living room
The other is driving a USB Dac in my sound room in the basement. All music files reside on a NAS
I have tried other RPi solutions and Rune is the best, most mature one out there that I have found.
Support here is great
But you need two decide what your system will be. You have to decide on speakers, amp, and how the music files are stored.
pelliott321

Postby Navel » 21 Nov 2016, 13:57

My files will be stored on an external hard drive, but I also would like to plug a CD reader. As for the speakers and the amp, I've been told that the amp is useless as long as the speaker is "active" or something like that. Is that correct ?

A USB DAC is enough to have a great quality sound ?
Navel

Postby surfninja » 21 Nov 2016, 16:31

I would start even smaller. Try playing music from your phone, Ipod, or some mp3 player on what ever stereo you have.

Once you know you have a working system, check the compatibility page for DACs. find one that fits your budget.

There are many that use hifi berry drivers and there is a lot of help from Frank on how to set these up. it might help a newbie to read a thread or two on the required configuration. This too might help you decide on a DAC direction.

Not sure what you mean by 'I also would like to plug a CD reader.' You will not be able to connect a usb cd reader to your RP and expect to play CDs using Rune. You will need some other means (that I don't now about).

Rune expects you to rip your cds to a supported audio format (I use FLAC), store them somewhere Rune can find them. I use a network drive.
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 2B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi 4B
rAudio 1, Raspberry Pi Zero W
surfninja

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to DIY and tweaks