Bass and treble setting?

Everything about Hi-Fi equipment

Bass and treble setting?

Postby dirtylarry » 08 Jan 2018, 05:03

Hi folks...I just added a sainsmart xs400 sound card..it sounds great but a little tinny....could be my ear buds perhaps but is there a way to adjust bass and treble? Or would I have to contact sainsmart?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Larry
dirtylarry

Re: Bass and treble setting?

Postby janui » 08 Jan 2018, 13:25

Hi dirtylarry,
There is no simple way to add tone controls to Rune. The way Rune works is to provide bit-perfect reproduction of digitally encoded sound.
Digital route:
Digital tone controls can be added using brutefir (search the forum for details). There is also an unfinished project attempting to do this on the Volumio forum, it’s worth a look. A second partial solution is also available for streaming Apple AirPlay, you can do this by replacing shairport by shareport-sync (see the forum for details). Shairport-sync also has functionality equivalent to brutefir. P.S. brutefir is not designed for tone controls, but can do it. Also please note that brutefir is very complex!
Analogue route:
Your sainsmart xs400 sound card has a DAC plus an analogue amplifier. There are jumpers to enable the amplifier. It could be possible to tap-off the DAC output, feed it through a tone control network and then feed the output back into the amplifier input. You should first contact the supplier about this. Replacing the existing volume control (the volume control is then the tap-off point) with something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIFI-Amplifier ... SwWflaLRCF would probably work. Safely desoldering the existing volume control will be a challenge, and this would certainly invalidate your warranty.
janui
janui

Postby dirtylarry » 08 Jan 2018, 14:48

Thank you Junai!, Probably not worth it to me for small adjustments, I did however try a different set of headphones and its much better sound now.
dirtylarry

Postby fk6284755 » 07 Mar 2018, 09:24

You need an overall flat sound with a strong midrange. Classical music doesn't have long play of sub bass like electronic music but it moves a lot around the sound of the horns, trumpets, cello and bass cello. The low mids from this music can sound horrible on a lot of speakers because of poor performance.

Lead a Happy and Peaceful Life : Affirmation mp3 helps in Achieving it ....
Last edited by fk6284755 on 08 Mar 2018, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
fk6284755

Postby dirtylarry » 07 Mar 2018, 12:32

My point exactly...that's why ideas asking about sound controls.
dirtylarry

Postby LeighP » 12 Mar 2018, 23:05

From my training of working in broadcast radio, the bass and treble is always adjusted by the listener via the amplifier, not what comes before it.
https://github.com/rern/rAudio - the new place for rAudio.
LeighP

Postby dirtylarry » 13 Mar 2018, 13:13

This is the amplifier....
dirtylarry

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Return to Hi-Fi systems