[HELP] AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: [HELP] AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO

Postby rikardo1979 » 26 May 2016, 20:45

PeteB wrote:If they recommend up to 12V, then I stand corrected, I thought I saw 9V :geek:

I was trying to search this again but I cant remember where was it. As you know Audiophonics is mostly french speaking forum and support. And their support is pretty messy :)
But I am pretty sure they mentioned to me this information
>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<
rikardo1979

Postby rikardo1979 » 26 May 2016, 20:48

jazzbo wrote:
PeteB wrote:@jazzbo: You need 6V absolute minimum. The regulator on your DAC uses the difference between 5V and 6V to provide clean power for the D/A conversion, and extra power for the Pi and any dongles. Less than 6V, and you may as well buy the cheapest DAC you can find on ebay and call it a day.

The six volt supply is critical to get what you paid for when you bought this DAC! I cannot stress this enough.

Thanks, I'll make sure I get a 6V power supply then!

I do find it odd that Audiophonics pushes their linear 5V power supply so much for the Raspdac setup -- unless that is just a holdover from when they had a earlier DAC in those units.

Ive got this http://goo.gl/zKv4im, great stuff for this money. 65VA R-core transformer and good selection of components, bargain
rikardo1979

Postby jazzbo » 27 Jun 2016, 18:10

So I have a question about this DAC -- I finally got mine (and a raspdac enclosure). Is the DC connection on the DAC itself also supposed to pass through power for the Pi? That was my understanding, but when I supply power (I ended up getting a 8V/2800A linear power supply) no lights come on on the Pi and I have to power it separately. Which doesn't make sense as the enclosure doesn't have a place for the other power cable to enter.

However when I look at the video review on the previous page, the reviewer makes comments starting around 1:50 that the Audiophonics doesn't supply power to the Pi.

I've opened up an email with audiophonics support as well on this issue.

But do I potentially have a bum board or did I not understand how it works?

(Also all of that being said, I was able to hook the system up for a test night with power to the Pi and it sounds really good, and I was really impressed with how easy runeaudio was to setup and get working with the DAC.)
jazzbo

Postby rikardo1979 » 28 Jun 2016, 07:32

jazzbo wrote:So I have a question about this DAC -- I finally got mine (and a raspdac enclosure). Is the DC connection on the DAC itself also supposed to pass through power for the Pi? That was my understanding, but when I supply power (I ended up getting a 8V/2800A linear power supply) no lights come on on the Pi and I have to power it separately. Which doesn't make sense as the enclosure doesn't have a place for the other power cable to enter.

However when I look at the video review on the previous page, the reviewer makes comments starting around 1:50 that the Audiophonics doesn't supply power to the Pi.

I've opened up an email with audiophonics support as well on this issue.

But do I potentially have a bum board or did I not understand how it works?

(Also all of that being said, I was able to hook the system up for a test night with power to the Pi and it sounds really good, and I was really impressed with how easy runeaudio was to setup and get working with the DAC.)

Yes, RPi is powered through the DAC board over GPIO. So I understand you have the power button wired and pytho scripts installed?
To troubleshoot more, check the pins on GPIO at top with multimeter if you can measure 5V

rikardo1979

Postby jazzbo » 28 Jun 2016, 17:08

Yeah, so I eventually figured this out. I had just taken my DAC and plugged the GPIO pins into the Pi, and assumed that if the button wasn't there that the power would just flow if supplied power to the DAC over DC. I wasn't thinking that the button acted as the circuit to actually pass power to the Pi, and that it was more to turn off the power to the pi (or allow it through.)

Once I hooked up the button (and pressed it) it worked fine. LED is working fine too.

So again, just my lack of understanding of electronics in general, I think. This is literally the first thing I ever put together that involved wires or components, I'm much more of a software guy.

Thanks for offering to help, tho.
jazzbo

Postby mrcarrotcake » 17 Jul 2016, 11:57

Has anyone tested the v3 against the v2? Is it work the extra in terms of sound quality?
mrcarrotcake

Postby justsomeguy » 19 Jul 2016, 02:16

So I've recently got the Sabre V3 DAC and a raspberry pi, but haven't gotten a power supply yet because I don't know which one to get.

This might be a dumb question but, what would be the difference between getting one of these power supplies

http://tinyurl.com/hnmkp7y which costs about ~$20

or the one linked above which costs about ~$120. (http://goo.gl/zKv4im)

For the raspberry pi DAC setup?

I'm guessing it has something to do with "electrical noise" and sound quality? I'm no audiophile or an electrician so I don't know much about this stuff, I'm more of a software programmer kinda guy. But would that be the reason?

Maybe if someone can explain or point me in the right direction? It would be useful for other people who stumble upon this post to gain some knowledge as well :) Thanks!

P.S. I guess my best choice would be to simply buy the cheap one and see if I can hear any noise. If I do, then start looking for better power supplies.
justsomeguy

Postby rikardo1979 » 19 Jul 2016, 07:50

justsomeguy wrote:So I've recently got the Sabre V3 DAC and a raspberry pi, but haven't gotten a power supply yet because I don't know which one to get.

This might be a dumb question but, what would be the difference between getting one of these power supplies

http://tinyurl.com/hnmkp7y which costs about ~$20

or the one linked above which costs about ~$120. (http://goo.gl/zKv4im)

For the raspberry pi DAC setup?

I'm guessing it has something to do with "electrical noise" and sound quality? I'm no audiophile or an electrician so I don't know much about this stuff, I'm more of a software programmer kinda guy. But would that be the reason?

Maybe if someone can explain or point me in the right direction? It would be useful for other people who stumble upon this post to gain some knowledge as well :) Thanks!

P.S. I guess my best choice would be to simply buy the cheap one and see if I can hear any noise. If I do, then start looking for better power supplies.

yeas, your conclusions are good ;)
If you want to use this on decent hifi setup than linear PSU is must. You will gain a lot by using proper LPS
There is an extended thread here on forum where we discuss LPS http://www.runeaudio.com/forum/linear-power-supplies-any-improvement-in-sound-t758-30.html

So all depends on what you connecting this into.
rikardo1979

Postby sebus05 » 04 Aug 2016, 19:28

Is there any easy way to add IR sensor to the AUDIOPHONICS RaspDAC Kit enclosure?

I suspect answer by PeteB from here still stands?

Would the enclosure be able to take WD Pi Drive?

Thanks

sebus
sebus05

Postby rikardo1979 » 08 Aug 2016, 05:48

sebus05 wrote:Is there any easy way to add IR sensor to the AUDIOPHONICS RaspDAC Kit enclosure?

I suspect answer by PeteB from here still stands?

Would the enclosure be able to take WD Pi Drive?

Thanks

sebus

latest version of RaspDAC case has a hole for IR sensor on front panel

http://forum.audiophonics.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1691

Regarding the HDD. You should be able squeeze one in but I am not sure how you going to connect it to RPi internally?
rikardo1979

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi