[HELP] AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: [HELP] AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO

Postby guillaumesej » 26 Apr 2016, 08:00

I confirm it works for me as well, this is a great job !
guillaumesej

Postby TommyBoy » 28 Apr 2016, 14:32

how is it possible to handle all sorts of sample rates of all sorts of audioformat files
with the sabre ES9023 ?? and runeaudio ?
this DAC part must have a special clock input from on board oscilator,
and it must be a special fixed rate x128 or x256 or x512 of the sample rate
or is the rune system locked to alway output a fixed sample rate ? and rune perform live up/down sample rate conversion ?
else I dont understand how it is possible ?
TommyBoy

Postby rikardo1979 » 28 Apr 2016, 14:41

TommyBoy wrote:how is it possible to handle all sorts of sample rates of all sorts of audioformat files
with the sabre ES9023 ?? and runeaudio ?
this DAC part must have a special clock input from on board oscilator,
and it must be a special fixed rate x128 or x256 or x512 of the sample rate
or is the rune system locked to alway output a fixed sample rate ? and rune perform live up/down sample rate conversion ?
else I dont understand how it is possible ?

http://www.esstech.com/files/4114/4095/ ... 101103.pdf

>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<
rikardo1979

Postby TommyBoy » 28 Apr 2016, 20:00

thanks for the nice links, but none of them answer any of my questions.
TommyBoy

Postby jazzbo » 26 May 2016, 15:43

A question for others who have used this DAC, especially with the RaspDAC enclosure.

What exactly are the power requirements? I see reference to needing a 6V/2A power supply in some places -- including this thread, but audiophonic seems to recommend a 5V/2A power supply.

See http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/a ... 0384.html# where they have a video and link to the 5V supply which plugs into the V3 TCXO and passes power to the pi.

So I have one of these on order, and I'm confused as to what I'll need to power it as I was assuming 5V would be enough as it seems to be what they are promoting for their European customers. Should I also be safe with a 6V/2A supply?
jazzbo

Postby rikardo1979 » 26 May 2016, 18:09

jazzbo wrote:A question for others who have used this DAC, especially with the RaspDAC enclosure.

What exactly are the power requirements? I see reference to needing a 6V/2A power supply in some places -- including this thread, but audiophonic seems to recommend a 5V/2A power supply.

See http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/a ... 0384.html# where they have a video and link to the 5V supply which plugs into the V3 TCXO and passes power to the pi.

So I have one of these on order, and I'm confused as to what I'll need to power it as I was assuming 5V would be enough as it seems to be what they are promoting for their European customers. Should I also be safe with a 6V/2A supply?

%V is definitely not good. You need minimum 6V as the DAC takes some power and RPi needs 5V.
I have bought big LPS and I set the out to 9V/5.5A so I never going to suffer :)
RaspDAC should work on 6V-12V but on 12V it may starts over heath. Depends if you use RPi 2 or new RPi 3. If older than 2A is good but with RPi 3 you would need at least 2.5A!
rikardo1979

Postby PeteB » 26 May 2016, 18:58

@rikardo: 9V is borderline too much.

Régulation faible bruit de l'alimentation permettant une alimentation de 6 à 9 VDC (2A)

I bet this is a low-dropout, low noise regulator. I can guess what kind. You are not doing yourself any favors operating at or above 9V.

9V is the upper limit for the Audiophonics board, and allowing for line and load regulation on a linear supply, you will be exceeding 9V during normal operation. If you can, you should measure it with a multi-meter, and adjust down as much as possible, perhaps to around 7~8V.

The Pi will draw less than 1A while running, perhaps as low as 0.5A. Linear supplies get their "clean" power in part by not using "noisy" regulators. Downside is poor load and line reg, which does not matter at all (for audio), unless you are close to a limit. Drawing 0.5A from a supply intended for ten times that current could give you well over 9V at the supply input to the regulator on the DAC board. Even if not, the regulator is being unnecessarily stressed.

The load regulation is an inverse relationship. Low current as % of maximum == high voltage. Load current close to maximum == low voltage.

@jazzbo: You need 6V absolute minimum. The regulator on your DAC uses the difference between 5V and 6V to provide clean power for the D/A conversion, and extra power for the Pi and any dongles. Less than 6V, and you may as well buy the cheapest DAC you can find on ebay and call it a day.

The six volt supply is critical to get what you paid for when you bought this DAC! I cannot stress this enough.
PeteB

Postby rikardo1979 » 26 May 2016, 19:42

PeteB wrote:@rikardo: 9V is borderline too much.

Régulation faible bruit de l'alimentation permettant une alimentation de 6 à 9 VDC (2A)

I bet this is a low-dropout, low noise regulator. I can guess what kind. You are not doing yourself any favors operating at or above 9V.

9V is the upper limit for the Audiophonics board, and allowing for line and load regulation on a linear supply, you will be exceeding 9V during normal operation. If you can, you should measure it with a multi-meter, and adjust down as much as possible, perhaps to around 7~8V.

The Pi will draw less than 1A while running, perhaps as low as 0.5A. Linear supplies get their "clean" power in part by not using "noisy" regulators. Downside is poor load and line reg, which does not matter at all (for audio), unless you are close to a limit. Drawing 0.5A from a supply intended for ten times that current could give you well over 9V at the supply input to the regulator on the DAC board. Even if not, the regulator is being unnecessarily stressed.

The load regulation is an inverse relationship. Low current as % of maximum == high voltage. Load current close to maximum == low voltage.

@jazzbo: You need 6V absolute minimum. The regulator on your DAC uses the difference between 5V and 6V to provide clean power for the D/A conversion, and extra power for the Pi and any dongles. Less than 6V, and you may as well buy the cheapest DAC you can find on ebay and call it a day.

The six volt supply is critical to get what you paid for when you bought this DAC! I cannot stress this enough.

Audiophonocs recommends 6V > not exceeding 12V, so 9V should be fine. I have been running it for weeks on 9V and no issue so far ;)
rikardo1979

Postby PeteB » 26 May 2016, 19:50

If they recommend up to 12V, then I stand corrected, I thought I saw 9V :geek:
PeteB

Postby jazzbo » 26 May 2016, 20:43

PeteB wrote:@jazzbo: You need 6V absolute minimum. The regulator on your DAC uses the difference between 5V and 6V to provide clean power for the D/A conversion, and extra power for the Pi and any dongles. Less than 6V, and you may as well buy the cheapest DAC you can find on ebay and call it a day.

Thanks, I'll make sure I get a 6V (or slightly higher) power supply then!

I do find it odd that Audiophonics pushes their linear 5V power supply so much for the Raspdac setup -- unless that is just a holdover from when they had a earlier DAC in those units.
Last edited by jazzbo on 26 May 2016, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
jazzbo

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

PreviousNext

Return to Raspberry Pi