Audio GD i2s Output - PS Audio

Raspberry Pi related support

Re: Audio GD i2s Output - PS Audio

Postby janui » 25 Oct 2017, 14:35

Hi arnaldo,
It is an interesting route which you have chosen to provide a I2S signal with MCK to your PS Audio PWDMK2 Dac. The HifiberryDac+Pro should work as an interface in this way. This module also has audio output connectors and is known for its exceptional price/performance. When you post your photos it would be interesting if you could tell us about the difference in sound quality between the audio output of the PS Audio PWDMK2 and the HifiberryDac+Pro.
janui
janui

Postby arnaldo » 17 Nov 2017, 11:10

UPDATE:
i bought hifiberry digi + pro, i have soldered 5 pins on the i2s out of this card named P4.
i made this map:
1 GND
2 Master clock (22.5792MHz for 44.1, 88.2, 176.4 kHz sample rates, 24.576MHz for 48,96,192kHz sample rates)
3 Bit clock (frequency = 32/64* sample rate)
4 Frame clock (frequency = sample rate)
5 Data

5 -> DATA
3 -> BCLK
4 -> WCK
2 -> MCLK
1 -> GND

from hifiberry digi + pro to audio gd output module

hifiberry digi + pro:
https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/ ... l-I2S-DACs

audio gd output module
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/diy/I2Skits/I2SEN.htm

DOES NOT WORK!!
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Any idea?
Music!
arnaldo

Postby janui » 17 Nov 2017, 17:36

Hi arnaldo,
Is the hifiberrydacplus pro working without your dac?
Could you post your debug?
janui
janui

Postby arnaldo » 04 Dec 2017, 16:36

janui wrote:Hi arnaldo,
Is the hifiberrydacplus pro working without your dac?
Could you post your debug?
janui

The hifiberry dac + pro perform great sound via sp/dif!
Small consolation. :| :?
Music!
arnaldo

Postby arnaldo » 10 Feb 2018, 20:34

hi guys,
here I am to report my new problem.

I Try to connect my Raspberry to PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 in s/pdif using Kali Reclocker and Interface digitale I2S vers SPDIF BNC WM8804.

Kali ok, led blu on.
DAC take the lock.

no sound.
:( :( :( :( :(
Music!
arnaldo

Postby janui » 11 Feb 2018, 14:56

Hi arnaldo,
I am not sure what you are trying to do. I see the following possible configurations:
    1. Rune > USB > PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 - this should give good results
    2. Rune > I2S > PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 - this should give good results
    3. Rune > I2S > Kali > I2S > PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 - this will only work if the DAC can operate slave mode (using the Kali clock signal). The PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 documentation is not specific on this point, you need to contact your supplier for details. If it works, it will give good results
    4. Rune > I2S > Kali > I2S > I2S-to-spdif converter > spdif > PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 - this will only work if the I2S-to-spdif converter can operate slave mode (using the Kali clock signal). Converting to spdif will reduce the quality (and with even more quality loss if the optical spdif connection is used). Personally, I would not recommend this configuration
I think you are describing configuration 4 in combination with this product: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-inte ... 12561.html. If so, you will need to solder the points on the PCB to select the external clock from the Kali and make sure you do not use any clocks on the board. Even though I would not recommend it, it should work.
janui
janui

Postby arnaldo » 14 Feb 2018, 13:54

janui wrote:Hi arnaldo,
I see the following possible configurations: Rune is for Rune+Raspy
    1. Rune > USB > PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 - this should give good results Implemented and it's works.

2. Rune > I2S > I2S-HDMI Audio GD OutPut Module > PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 - this should give good results Implemented and it's NOT works because PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 need masterclock signal and raspy do not have.

3. Rune > I2S > Kali > I2S > I2S-HDMI Audio GD OutPut Module > PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 - this will only work if the DAC can operate slave mode (using the Kali clock signal).
    Implemented and it's NOT works because PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 need this Masterclok signal (22.5792MHz, 24.576MHz) Here ise some informations: http://www.i2s.sonore.us
    The PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 documentation is not specific on this point, you need to contact your supplier for details. I wrote in the PS Audio forum but they do not help me a lot.

4. Rune > I2S > Kali > I2S > I2S-to-spdif converter > spdif > PS Audio Pefect Wave Dac Mk2 - this will only work if the I2S-to-spdif converter can operate slave mode (using the Kali clock signal). Converting to spdif will reduce the quality (and with even more quality loss if the optical spdif connection is used). Personally, I would not recommend this configuration Implemented and it's NOT works, i don't know why, perhaps same problem with masterclock.

I think you are describing configuration 4 in combination with this product: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-inte ... 12561.html. If so, you will need to solder the points on the PCB to select the external clock from the Kali and make sure you do not use any clocks on the board. Even though I would not recommend it, it should work. Solder M1 and M2 to use internal.
janui

Hi Janui, I'm here to say...i tried, hope others do not make my mistakes. :mrgreen:
Music!
arnaldo

Postby janui » 14 Feb 2018, 15:21

Hi arnaldo,

The supplier’s product documentation states that it will work in asynchronous mode (the big selling point for Mk2 version), but from what you say this works only with the USB connection and not with I2S. This could be enough to send the product back to the supplier, you could try to get your money back.

Quote for the sales website: “The PerfectWave MKII DAC is a remarkable high-end fully asynchronous PCM DAC that connects to just about anything. It accesses high-resolution digital audio data from any source and converts the data to musically natural sounding analog audio.

Quote from the product manual: “The PWD uses an HDMI cable to transfer I2S data. This data can only be used with another compatible PS Audio component, such as the PerfectWave transport, and will not work in other HDMI equipment as the I2S format incorporated does not comply with the HDMI standards.” Just for the record, there are no official HDMI standards for I2S, they are obviously referring to their own ‘standards’.

Summary:
    1. As a USB DAC it works fine.
    2. The DAC will not work in asynchronous mode for I2S signals. It needs an external clock signal.
    3. You will not be able to use your Kali reclocker with this DAC because it’s clocks operate at 45.1584MHz and 49.1520MHz while the DAC will only accept a 22.5792 or 24.576MHz clock signal.
    4. Is not a very good solution, point 1 above will probably sound better.
    Some notes concerning point 4:
      • I assume it is this board: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-inte ... 12561.html
      • It will only work at 16 to 24bit word length, not 32bit. This is a limitation of the WM8804 chip, see here: https://d3uzseaevmutz1.cloudfront.net/p ... 4_v4.5.pdf
      • In Pi/Rune/MPD/Alsa 24bit output is implemented as a zero filled 32bit signal. I get the impression that the WM8804 will not process this correctly. This means that you may need to force 16bit operation.
      • Kali will have no effect if a clock chip is mounted and used on the board.
      • The board must be set up to use the I2S clock input (on the back of the board M1 and M2 must be desoldered and on the front AB 1 to 2 must be soldered)
Sorry that this is not really a solution for your poblems.
janui
janui

Postby arnaldo » 14 Feb 2018, 16:07

Hi janui, you are a good man!
I don't want money back, i think, after many electronics in my life, PS Audio PWDMK2 is a great DAC for the price I had paid.
What I hate is the way of someone to sell products without any tecnical background, in particular his customer care (AudioPhonics) that sold me Kali, AudioGD Module and las i2s - spdif converter.

Thank's for all.
Arnaldo.
Music!
arnaldo

support RuneAudio Donate with PayPal

Previous

Return to Raspberry Pi